Built in murus dacicus style, the six Dacian Fortresses of the Orăștie Mountains, in Romania, were created in the 1st centuries BC and AD as protection against Roman conquest, and played an important role during the Roman-Dacian wars. The six fortresses – Sarmizegetusa Regia, Costeşti-Cetăţuie, Costeşti-Blidaru, Piatra Roşie, Bănița and Căpâlna – that formed the defensive system of Decebalus were designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999. All the sites are in Hunedoara County, except for Căpâlna, which is in Alba County. The interest for the Blidaru vestiges is relatively recent, compared the the long term attention accorded to other Dacian sites of the Orăştie Mountains. In the beginning of the XXth century appeared the first mentions on Dacian artifacts, discovered by chance in the area, at that moment being also remembered older traces of treasure seekers. D. M. Teodorescu was the first archaeologist to set foot in the fortress of Blidaru, in 1921, but the first systematic archaeological research started only in 1953 under the coordination of C. Daicoviciu. Following the digging campaigns that are still continuing, the fortress ramparts were almost entirely investigated.